Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Alan Hovhaness - Symphony for Metal Orchestra (No. 17) - Kohar - Khrimian Harig - Psalm & Fugue - The Holy City

Here's a great Hovhaness disc from 1995 on Koch Classics. Koch put out several fantastic Hovhaness discs over the years and I'm extremely fond of them all.


The "Symphony for Metal Orchestra/Of Metal Instruments" (the seventeenth of Hovhaness’s 67 symphonies) was composed in 1963 shortly after a visit to Japan. Scored for the singular combination of six flutes, three trombones and metallic percussion, its four contemplative movements incorporate elements of Japanese gagaku music (which the composer describes as “the earliest orchestral music we know; it came from China and Korea in the 700s”) together with sounds inspired by the Sho (a Japanese mouth-organ, here imitated by the flutes). It's a mystical journey similar in some ways (for example, the tintinnabulation sections of metal percussion which can suggest floating through space) to Hovhaness's Vishnu Symphony, or his Symphonies for Band (such as "Star Dawn"). The trombone glissandi might remind seasoned listeners of Hovhaness's "Mountains and Rivers Without End" especially.


"The Holy City" is a highly evocative, nine-and-a-half-minute essay for trumpet, harp, chimes and strings dating from 1967 and full of atmospheric sonorities. Chris Gekker is the superb trumpet soloist both here and in the serene, yet deceptively purposeful "Khrimian Hairig" (composed in 1944 and revised four years later), which takes its name from “a heroic Armenian priest” who helped to shelter the Armenian people from persecution. The glowing string textures in the "Psalm and Fugue" (1941) cast quite a spell, as do the hypnotic, mantra-like melodic lines of the rarity "Kohar" (1946), another Armenian-inspired creation, scored for flute, cor anglais, timpani and strings. "Psalm and Fugue" is also featured on the American Masters III disc (Dello Joio, Hovhaness, Arnold Rosner)
that I posted. The version on the AM III is even more effective sonically.

Richard Auldon Clark and his New York group give outstandingly sympathetic performances. I wish these forces still recorded AH's these days..  Enjoy.

Hovhaness_Sym_Of_Metal Instruments_Tz.zip

http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/11905698/file.html

8 comments:

cjvinthechair said...

Ah...always a favourite, thanks !

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great music, most of it new to me. You rock!

Tzadik said...

cjv you're welcome friend. Were you already familiar with this specific Hovhaness recording? These were the days when I was able to run about in an excited, obsessive and unquenchable fashion looking for any and every available AH recording that I could get my hands on! Once the 2000's came...I recall being almost astonished, not to mention shit-grin happy as all hell- that Naxos was going to be releasing Hovhaness discs (even though some are reissued from Delos). I wondered for many years if that day would ever come. Still I think the finest AH discs are on Crystal Records, Delos, Koch, and then singular efforts by lesser-known labels.

Tzadik said...

Anon, you are very welcome for the music!! Also, I appreciate your compliment greatly; I always had a suspicion that I did rock (in a Hendrixian way, but also simply as one helluva kool kat) and now you have confirmed it for me ;) -Tz

cjvinthechair said...

Yes - when first heard AH did rather think there might be nothing to touch him. OK, moved on a bit, but do still love the other-worldliness of some of his music !

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to hear this cd for over a decade...thanks for your generosity Tzadik

Tzadik said...

Hiya cjv..

Well, there's quite a bit out there, do you the lesser known chamber works or the choral music and songs? I don't ever lose the excitement but I know what you mean. He was so prolific, and while I love most of his music it's the early to mid period that I find genius, his highest opuses sometimes suffer from a drop of 'sameness'. I still enjoy that handful of works too..

Tzadik said...

Anon! well damn, I'm happy I could make your dreams come true ;) Thx for your comment...